Saturday 2 April 2022

First Impressions Review Diary 2-Apr-2022

__Welcome back.🙂
__Today's compilation of mini reviews starts with The Batman. Like I said before, it just missed out on its chance to be in last month's entry, because I'd be going to see it mere hours after it was time for me to post that one. So finally, after all the hype and countless delays to the film's production, what did I think?

The Batman (2022)
It has some plot elements I've seen before and done better in other Batman stories, so it's far from the best Batman movie, but certainly the darkest and most downbeat. The highlight is the terrifically disturbing version of the Riddler.
My rating: 75%.

__And now on to the video games that continue to occupy the bulk of my time.🙂
__Over the past month, I reached the end of my games from 2004. I decided that would be a good time to post a list of all the games I'd covered so far, which you can check out here. But, before moving on to my games from 2005, I'm currently watching another group of longplays as a sort of preface. It began with the original Ratchet & Clank trilogy, each one paired with another game that just happened to be from the same year, before moving on to a few from 2005, starting with Call of Duty 2 – which, interestingly, was apparently one of the launch titles for the Xbox 360.
__Of the ones I've watched so far, the ones I decided not to obtain myself are covered in this first section. The most recent is the fourth Ratchet & Clank game, Ratchet: Deadlocked (or, as it's known in Europe, Ratchet: Gladiator). It may seem odd that I'm mentioning it before the original trilogy, but they'll be covered in the next section because, unlike Gladiator, I bought them after watching the longplays because I liked what I saw.

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords (GBA)
Just a short add-on game, but with a lot of effort put into the cooperative puzzles. It even accounts for you having less than four players. The use of the invincibility theme from Super Mario Bros. is pretty amusing.
My rating: 75%.
Call of Duty (PC)
It focuses very little on story or character, and more on simulating the experience of being a soldier on a World War II battlefield. Many levels are based on real-life battles, which may mean more to you if you're well versed in history.
My rating: 65%.
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GameCube)
Four Swords was a Link to the Past add-on, and this one also uses Link to the Past as a template.🙂 I love its visual style, but not that you can only use one item instead of having an inventory.
My rating: 85%.
Call of Duty 2 (PC)
The graphics are a big step up from the first game, but the concept is nowhere near as interesting second time round. We follow the same three armies, but in reverse order this time, and the British campaign takes place in north Africa.
My rating: 60%.
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (PS2)
It's a direct sequel to Dracula's Curse on NES, and not a very compelling one. Artistically, it's like a 3D version of Symphony of the Night, with the same style of text boxes, and Hector even kind of looks like Alucard.
My rating: 60%.
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS)
The plot involves a cult trying to reincarnate the dark lord. The gameplay is mostly the same as Aria of Sorrow, but it takes advantage of the DS's touchscreen: you draw magic seals to open doors and finish off bosses.
My rating: 65%.
God of War (PS2)
The beat-'em-up gameplay is a ton of fun, but the story is a mixed bag. The flashbacks revealing Kratos's past are great, but the liberties it takes with Greek mythology really bug me, especially turning Pandora's box into a god-killing weapon.
My rating: 75%.
Ratchet: Deadlocked [AKA Ratchet: Gladiator] (PS3)
The story feels utterly inconsequential, like a diversion from the main series, which makes the repetitive gameplay stand out that much more; it's just the same couple of mission types repeated ad infinitum.
My rating: 55%.

__Regarding the Zelda games… I never intended to get Four Swords anyway, simply because it's multiplayer only. Not only do I have no interest in games of that nature, but I'm not sure how it would work on an emulator anyway. There was briefly an enhanced port on the 3DS that had a single-player mode, but it looks like I missed my chance there.🙁
__Four Swords Adventures, on the other hand, I was interested in (even more so now that I've seen it), but I passed on it because it's fucking expensive, with most used copies selling for upwards of €100! Forget Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword; I want to see this game get remastered!🙂 In the meantime, I might need to get a GameCube emulator to play it myself.
__The same goes for the two Castlevania games: they're rare and absurdly expensive. Unlike Four Swords Adventures, I'm not that interested in Curse of Darkness based on what I've seen, but I am considering getting a DS emulator for Dawn of Sorrow (and potentially the other two DS Castlevania titles).
__I actually did try playing the original God of War myself a few years ago, but I could never get past the first Cerberus encounter: they just kept multiplying. I thought I'd better watch the trilogy now so I'm caught up when I get to the 2018 game.
__And as for Call of Duty… Until recently, I had no interest in the franchise whatsoever (Half-Life aside, I don't really like first-person shooters in general), but Joshscorcher's praise for Modern Warfare convinced me to give it a chance, and I thought I might as well preview the three preceding games, even though I was sure they had no story connections whatsoever.

__And now, here are the last of my games from 2004, with the Ratchet & Clank trilogy (of which I decided to download the remastered version on the PS3) thrown in at the end.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Trials and Tribulations (Switch)
Probably the series' best in terms of storytelling, as the overall narrative links all five episodes and you sometimes play as other characters. But the minimalist style still tries my patience.
My rating: 65%.
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (PS2)
Not as enjoyable as its predecessor, partly because it puts combat at the forefront rather than platforming. Its strength is the plot, which involves the causal loop paradox: creating your own fate by trying to change it.
My rating: 70%.
Red Dead Revolver (PS2)
The blood makes each kill much more visceral, in conjunction with the series' signature Dead Eye mechanic, but just shooting your way through every level gets old after a while. Doesn't help that I didn't care much for the characters.
My rating: 55%.
Sid Meier's Pirates! (PC, 2004)
The open-ended nature seems daunting at first, but it's strangely addictive to explore the map, looking for that one tip from a random person that could point you in the right direction, all while adding to your fame and fortune.
My rating: 80%.
Silent Hill 4: The Room (PS2)
Probably the most coherent of the series. It quickly becomes clear that the visions are from the mind of a serial killer, each representing a victim, as you piece together the mystery of who he was and why you're seeing them.
My rating: 70%.
Spider-Man 2 (PS2)
At first, it's a ton of fun to swing around the sandbox environment in a manner that perfectly captures the feel of being Spider-Man, and exploration factors into each chapter's objectives. But the controls are often downright rage-inducing.
My rating: 70%.
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PC)
Like the first game, the stealth mechanics themselves are fun, but the plot did almost nothing for me. The villain's plan involving the titular phrase is good, but playing a government agent just isn't my thing.
My rating: 65%.
Ratchet & Clank (PS3)
I thought it felt very similar to Jak and Daxter, with its comparable lead duo and overall gameplay, and sure enough, its development used the same technology. I like the heroes' developing friendship; their animosity is understandable.
My rating: 80%.
Ratchet & Clank 2 (PS3)
Whether you know it as Going Commando or Locked and Loaded, it's much funnier than the original, but the plot is just all over the place. The primary goal doesn't take shape until halfway through, and it's not especially interesting.
My rating: 70%.
Ratchet & Clank 3 (PS3)
The story is only half interesting (that half being Dr Nefarious, not the Tyhrranoid war you're immediately thrown into), but the new gameplay elements make up for its shortcomings, including the Vid Comics and the best lock hacking yet.
My rating: 60%.

__Prince of Persia: Warrior Within features a lot of rock music in its soundtrack, which seems very out of place. I think they got the idea from The Scorpion King. Hell, it even plays I Stand Alone during the Dahaka chases.
__I think the problem with Spider-Man 2's controls is not just that they're often too intricate for me and even counterintuitive, but they're designed for navigating the huge open space of the New York sandbox, enhanced by the characters' small size on screen, which doesn't help any when it comes to landing on small targets with pinpoint accuracy. The best way I can describe it: it's like trying to paint a detailed picture of Earth on a Ping-Pong ball with only a broad paintbrush. It's like trying to hit one spot on a cheetah's coat while it's running at full speed and someone else is spinning you in circles. It's like trying to pick up a single grain of sugar. While wearing boxing gloves! So, even though the sequel is superior in many ways, I think the first movie-based game was far more playable.
__I compared the first Ratchet & Clank game to Jak and Daxter, but in the sequel, the constant crate-smashing and occasional side-scrolling sections reminded me of another Naughty Dog title: Crash Bandicoot.🙂

__And finally, one more from the aforementioned list of longplays that I am interested in getting, but wouldn't have arrived in time to be included in the "owned" section here even if I'd bought it immediately.
Guitar Hero (PS2)
The songs are performed by a cover band, but so well that that didn't matter to me except for a few that I know very well, i.e. Take Me Out, Killer Queen and Ziggy Stardust. It emphasises fast fingerwork to hit as many notes as possible.
My rating: 85%.

__I have Guitar Hero III on the Wii, and I decided to see if the first two games were worth buying; would the fact that the songs were covers have been a deal-breaker? From what I've seen of the first game, the answer is yes, they are worth it.🙂 But most of the songs are so fast that I can't say I'm looking forward to tackling them! Then again, the longplay I watched was on expert mode, and I could only ever manage easy when I played the third game.
__One cool thing about these games is that they introduce me to many new songs and get me interested in listening to the originals. In this case, among the most prominent examples are Infected by Bad Religion and Stellar by Incubus.

No comments:

Post a Comment