Thursday 22 November 2012

First Impressions: "Argo" (2012)

   I just got home from a trip to Dublin. The main reason I went up there was to see Keane (my absolute favourite band) live at the Olympia Theatre.
   And let me tell you, that show was just unbelievable! Keane (like several other bands, I've been told) have been doing a lot of smaller, more intimate gigs lately, so I was expecting this one to be an unplugged show, like the one at St Martin's College on April 27th. But no, actually it was a full-on concert. Full drum set, full set of keyboards – everything. Just on a small scale, for a small venue.
   Maybe it's just because of the acoustics in the theatre itself, but Richard's drumming nearly drowned Tom's singing out. But the audience had it covered! :D
   They actually played quite a few songs that I didn't think they would, like Bend and Break, We Might as Well Be Strangers, Hamburg Song, and even She Has No Time.
   When they left the stage after playing Bedshaped, I was a little concerned that they might have ended the show without telling us. After all, they usually play Bedshaped last of all. But I knew they wouldn't leave without playing Sea Fog or Sovereign Light Café! Actually, they ended the show with Crystal Ball. Kind of ironic in a way, since that was the first Keane song I ever heard. :) You could say it was the song that got me into them.
   Overall, it wasn't quite as energised as when they last played at the O2 (yes, I went to that show as well), but still the energy and enthusiasm from the crowd was just priceless. It was still an absolutely wonderful time, and the best birthday present I could have possibly asked for. :)

   But now, let's get to the subject of this message's title! :)
   I had no choice but to arrive in Dublin early. So one of the things I did in the time before the concert was to go and see Argo.
   If you've seen the trailer, you'll know it's based on a true story that, until recently, was classified. It's an unbelievable rescue mission story, and director Ben Affleck brings it to the screen magnificently.
   I haven't yet seen Gone Baby Gone, but I think I can quite safely say this is Ben Affleck's best directing job to date. The atmosphere of fear in the midst of the fierce Iranian uprising is captured flawlessly; the tension in every scene is palpable.
   The climax does come across as perhaps a tad too cinematic, if you know what I mean, but the edge-of-your-seat suspense still never lets up.
   All I can say is, if you haven't seen it, do so. It's easily one of the best movies of the year.
   My rating: 85%.

No comments:

Post a Comment