Monday 21 January 2013

First Impressions: "The Cavern" (AKA "WIthIN") (2005)

   I saw The Cavern (or WIthIN) today.
   If you've seen Film Brain's video review on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com, then everything he said holds true. I'm one of those people who prefer not to base my judgement of the movie on the review alone, but rather to see the whole thing myself so I can properly assess it, for better or for worse. As a result, seeing Film Brain's review of this movie beforehand kind of lessened the effect for me, so I didn't hate it as much as he did, but it was still abysmal.
   The characters are all complete morons, as well as frequently irritating. The cinematography has to be among the worst of all time, with so much colour bleeding that it's downright ugly to look at – not to mention some of the most annoying shaky cam I've ever seen. And the ending leaves an especially foul taste in the mouth.
   Basically, this movie is The Descent for idiots, and one of the worst-written, worst-looking movies I've ever come across. Between this and The Fourth Kind, I can say without any exaggeration that Olatunde Osunsanmi is right up there with Michael Bay as one of the absolute worst directors of all time!
   My rating: turkey (that's my collective rating for 1/10 and zero).

   And you know what the saddest part is? I had to buy the DVD just so I could see this movie at all! Now, granted, it comes very cheap indeed (can't imagine why!), but with a fairly solid idea of how bad it was, I would have preferred to send no money its way whatsoever.

   Now, when I go willingly into a bad movie, I usually plan to cleanse it with a good one, and this movie was no different. I washed The Cavern down with one of my favourite movies, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind – which, by the way, I feel is one of the most underrated movies ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment