Tuesday 2 October 2012

First Impressions: "Bolt" (2008)

   All right, this'll be my last "first impressions" comment from the Disney marathon, because… well, this is the last one that's new to me. There are only three to go after this – The Princess and the FrogTangled and Winnie the Pooh – and I've seen them all before.
   Anyway, here are my comments on Bolt.
   Well, this one defied my expectations twice in the first half-hour! It begins with an excessive action sequence, making you think the dog's a secret agent. But then it turns out it was just a movie being shot, but the dog thinks it's all real. That's a brilliant idea! But it becomes an ongoing gimmick that lasts for the first half of the movie, and it does get kind of annoying.
   The movie does have a number of good jokes and impressive action scenes, but I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if the second half's emotional content had been just a bit more potent.
   One thing I have to say: the animation is just frigging fantastic – almost as good as Pixar.
   Overall, this one's pretty good. Very clever and highly entertaining, but it does fall a bit flat emotionally.
   My rating: 65%.

No comments:

Post a Comment