Thursday 4 October 2012

First Impressions: "The Cold Light of Day" + "The Cabin in the Woods" (2012)

   Two more rentals this week.

   Number one: The Cold Light of Day. And man is this a lame one! I haven't come across an action thriller so bland and uninteresting in quite a while now.
   Most of the movie is pretty much just one chase sequence after another, and whenever it does stop to explain the story, it's so clichéd and confusing that it's impossible to care about, which means the action falls completely flat.
   Not to mention, the action itself looks really amateurish at times. The fight following the first chase scene doesn't pack any punch whatsoever.
   Plus Sigourney Weaver looks like she really doesn't want to be there.
   Other than that, there's not really much to say about this one. It's just uninspired and unremarkable.
   My rating: 30%.

   And number two: The Cabin in the Woods. Of course I was sure I was going to like this one, but wow did I underestimate it! This has to be one of the best horror movies of maybe the past decade.
   It's a pitch-perfect satire of slasher movie clichés and traditions, because it comes up with a story that actually accommodates them.
   And all the characters are genuinely likable; none of them are idiots. In fact, one of my favourite scenes is when one of them demonstrates that he's not even a creep.
   Now, unfortunately, to talk about it too much would mean spoiling a good chunk of the story. But I will say, if you like horror movies at all, then you can't skip this one. I think it's simply fantastic. Hands down, one of the best movies of the year so far – top five easily.
   My rating: 85%.

No comments:

Post a Comment