Friday 28 September 2012

First Impressions: "Piranha DD" + "Lockout" (2012)

   Well, I watched this week's two rentals today. Again, I was unable to rent them on the usual Tuesday. On both Tuesday and Wednesday this week, I was doing extras work on a TV show called Moone Boy, which apparently is a big hit here in Ireland.

   Rental 1: Piranha DD (as it was retitled on DVD). Well, this one wasn't as bad as I thought it would be; it was more or less what I should have expected. The CGI is just as bad as its predecessor, but it doesn't have the same sense of dark humour; it's basically a soulless, stagnant repeat.
   The nicest thing I can say about it is that at least it is actually a sequel. There's no mention of the parent piranhas, but at least it has more connection to the original than a simple throwaway reference, unlike some sequels I could name.
   Bottom line: it's a typical creature feature, so you can't expect too much, but at least its predecessor had something of an identity. This one does get noticeably silly at times, but it's mostly just kind of a bore.
   My rating: 30%.

   Rental 2: Lockout. I gathered from the trailer that it was basically Escape from New York in space. I haven't seen Escape from New York yet, but it has to be better than this at any rate! Lockout isn't bad, but it's not really anything special.
   None of the characters are set up that well, and the opening is so rushed that I could barely keep up with what was going on; I had to pause the movie at one point just so I could take in everything so far! Plus there's a blatant Star Wars rip-off in the finale, and a couple of glaring lapses in logic that really had me scratching my head, especially the idea of falling in space.
   Still, it is entertaining enough; it rolls with its premise fine.
   Also, after being so terribly miscast in both Prometheus and Lawless, it's nice to see a Guy Pearce appearance this year that I can't really criticise!
   Overall, it's not bad, but my rating's just barely leaning towards the positive side.
   My rating: 55%.

No comments:

Post a Comment