Sunday 30 September 2012

First Impressions: "Treasure Planet" (2002) + "Brother Bear" (2003)

   I'm back to the Disney marathon now. I only have a few left. And, of the three I saw today, here are my impressions of the two I was seeing for the first time.

   First up, Treasure Planet. Yeah, Treasure Island in space! Now, I'm not the biggest fan of Treasure Island to begin with, and in this case, even putting a sci-fi spin on it doesn't help much.
   If you can get into the world this movie sets up, it's actually a very good adventure story. For me personally, even though I really like some of the characters, I could just never buy the world itself. The way I see it, you should either tell the straight-up story of Treasure Island or go all the way with converting it to sci-fi; don't try to meet halfway.
   But like I said, you do get to like a lot of the characters, and once the story gets going, it is very well written and does lead to some pretty exciting moments.
   Overall, I'd say this is on par with Atlantis: The Lost Empire: a flawed but fun adventure.
   My rating: 55%.

   And secondly, Brother Bear. This movie really frustrates me in how right it gets some things and how wrong it gets so many others.
   The beginning is brilliant, with endearing characters, believable drama and a culture you can easily become absorbed in.
    But after the main character gets turned into a bear, everything plummets downhill. The dialogue is painfully modern, and the morals are confused as well as lame.
   By way of an example, I'll give you the two extremities of the movie – without spoiling anything. A character dies pretty early on, and I was genuinely torn up about it. By contrast, at the end of the second act, they put a song in the absolute worst place imaginable.
   So the first act is terrific, but the rest can suck it. I mean, talk about being so close and yet so far!
   My rating: 45%.

No comments:

Post a Comment